charm - [charm] Re: charm++ mailing list ? for stupid questions

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Re: charm++ mailing list ? for stupid questions

  • From: Eric Bohm <ebohm AT uiuc.edu>
  • To: Kristian Rune Larsen <s991029 AT student.dtu.dk>
  • Cc: ppl AT cs.uiuc.edu, charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [charm] Re: charm++ mailing list ? for stupid questions
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:19:52 -0600

Kristian Rune Larsen wrote:

Hi
I have just started using charm++ and I think it is a nice environment, but I am having troubles learning the language. My question is, if there exists a mailing list for charm++ questions ?
Right now I am trying to figure out how array-sections work. Does array-sections have to be sequential in index e.g. 4,5,6 or can they be random 2,3,5 ? And what does CkArrayIndexMax do ? is it an integer index , a proxy, or a chareID ? And is it possible to PUP a named enum ?
best wishes Kristian Rune Larsen student , Technical University of Denmark

The charm AT cs.uiuc.edu mailing list is the appropriate venue for this sort of question.

We are reactivating it and encourage interested charm users to subscribe.

Array sections are an arbitrary set of array indices, they do not have to be sequential.

CkArrayIndexMax is the mechanism you should use to select the indices you want in your array section.

It should be an array of incides. For example:

CkArrayIndexMax *al = new CkArrayIndexMax[sectionSize];
for (int i=0; i<sectionSize; i++) {
al[i] = CkArrayIndex1D(i);
}

In this case its a contiguous list, but the RHS could be any valid array index.

  • [charm] Re: charm++ mailing list ? for stupid questions, Eric Bohm, 02/17/2005