charm - [charm] different charm++ questions: array initiation, sun profiler

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] different charm++ questions: array initiation, sun profiler

  • From: Kristian Rune Larsen <s991029 AT student.dtu.dk>
  • To: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [charm] different charm++ questions: array initiation, sun profiler
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:09:17 +0200

Hi

I have some charm++ questions.

The first question is just to clarify array initiation. I have tried to run
my
program on four processes on two nodes , but I get seg-fault when trying to
initiate chare arrays on node 2. The arrays are initiated by chares, one on
each processor, and the seg-fault happens when the chare on the second
processor on node two tries in initiate a chare array. If I create the arrays
in advance and pass their proxies to the chares in the constructor everything
works fine. Does arrays need to be initialised on PE 0 ?

The default map object for a chare array is a round-robin map. I can't figure
out, is this a kind of load-balancing ?. Is the "home" PE the processor where
the array element is located or is just responsible for knowing where the
element is ?

I have tried to profile my program using the sun profiler called "analyzer".
think it is a java frontend for the collect program. My program is called
pprospect. If I use
$ collect -<..> charmrun pprospect args ++<..>
I get the profiling data for charmrun, and if I try to run the stand alone
version
$collect -<opt> pprospect args
It ends prematurely, but with exit success. The stand alone version works
fine
outside of the collect program. Has anyone experienced this ?

best wishes
Kristian Rune Larsen