charm - Re: [charm] Regarding using BigSim/BigNetSim

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Regarding using BigSim/BigNetSim

  • From: Eric Bohm <ebohm AT uiuc.edu>
  • To: gaurav khanna <khannag AT cse.ohio-state.edu>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Regarding using BigSim/BigNetSim
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:29:22 -0600

You should edit your netconfig file and set USE_TRANSCEIVER 0. That way it will use your trace files. With USE_TRANSCEIVER set to 1, the simulator expects command line parameters directing it in which traffic patterns you wish it to generate.

Link load can be obtained by setting DISPLAY_LINK_STATS to 1 as can message delay by DISPLAY_MESSAGE_DELAY 1. The resolution of this data collection is controlled by the frequency set in COLLECTION_INTERVAL.

Look in trunk/main/Nic.C NetInterface::recvPacket(Packet *p) ~ line 400 for an example. Grep on config.collection_interval and you'll pretty much hit all the code sections involved in message and link statistics collection.

gaurav khanna wrote:
Hello all,

I am able to go one step furthur by being able to compile and run
charm++/AMPI on i686 machines. Previously when I had posted the query I
was trying it on x86_64 machines and it does not compile there.

However, I am not still not able to successfully run BigNetSim. The readme
file README.bigsim explains the usage of BigNetSim using the traces
obtained by running BigSim. However, I am getting the following errors.

I am using the program jacobi in the directory
charm/net-linux-bigemulator/examples/ampi/Cjacobi3D in my installation.

I first run jacobi as follows.
./charmrun +p2 jacobi +vp64 +x4 +y4 +z4 +cth1 +wth1 +bglog
This runs fine and generates trace files of the form bglog*. Now, I feed
it to a BlueGene Interconnection topology according to the instructions
in the README.bigsim file.
./charmrun +p2 bigsimulator 1 0

I get the following error.

Transceiver usage is pgm <trafficGenerator> <trafficPattern> <msgSize>
<loadfactor>
------------- Processor 0 Exiting: Called CmiAbort ------------
Reason: Too few arguments
Stack Traceback:
[0] CmiAbort+0x4a [0x818169e]
[1] _ZN6Config10readConfigEP8CkArgMsg+0x684 [0x810677e]
[2] _ZN4mainC1EP8CkArgMsg+0x126 [0x80ea84c]
[3] _ZN12CkIndex_main19_call_main_CkArgMsgEPvP4main+0x2b [0x80eb421]
[4] _Z10_initCharmiPPc+0xa31 [0x81431db]
[5]
/j/osu3672/charm/net-linux-bigemulator/examples/ampi/Cjacobi3D/bigsimulator
[0x81847d4]
[6] ConverseInit+0x2aa [0x8184c19]
[7] main+0x20 [0x814d7f4]
[8] __libc_start_main+0xaa [0x4012fbba]
[9] gzprintf+0x51 [0x80ba411]
Fatal error on PE 0> Too few arguments

Could you help me on this?

Second thing as I have mentioned before is that my objective is to collect
performance characteristics like the total amount of communication on each
network link, # messages sent/recieved etc. I think your tool BigNetSim
looks very appropriate to do such a thing except that I will need to make
changes to the code to collect information like the #messages transferred
on each link, total data transferred on each link etc. If its not too much
of an effort for you, could you point me to places in code where this can
be done.

Regards
Gaurav

Gaurav Khanna