charm - [charm] Charm++ discussion

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Charm++ discussion

  • From: "Naresh_Hanumanthakari" <Naresh_Hanumanthakari AT satyam.com>
  • To: <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Charm++ discussion
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 13:01:27 +0530

Hello there,

I have some queries. Kindly help.

1. Suppose we are running our server application as follows:

./charmrun +p2 ./server ++local ++server-port 1300

Now, if we run two clients each of them as ./client 192.168.1.1 1300

Is the server able to handle this two clients parallely (as two processors
are running the server, can each of them handle a different client?)

2. Are we able to write networking application (say client-server program)
using Charm++ without the help of Converse?

3. If Converse is separate from Charm++, why are we compiling a Converse
application under Charm++ environment (using CHARMC)? Moreover, if Converse
is not a language then why do we need to specify as
- language converse++ for compiling our application?

4. Is Converse simply like MPI from functional perspectives?

5. Where do we find the clear distinction between Converse and Charm++?

6. Consider the following client code segment:

for(i=0;i<CcsNumPes(&svr);i++)
{
char *senddata="HELO";
CcsSendRequest(&svr,"Handler",i,strlen(senddata)+1,senddata);

I want to know how it work internally if we specify +p3 while running this
client.

Thanks & Regards
Naresh Babu H
Software Engineer,
Satyam Computer Services Ltd,
Bangalore Lanqford Avenue,
Bangalore.
ph:+91 9886424203

DISCLAIMER:
the sender by email and delete all copies; your cooperation in this regard is
appreciated.