charm - Re: [charm] converse discussion

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] converse discussion

  • From: Eric Bohm <ebohm AT uiuc.edu>
  • To: Naresh_Hanumanthakari <Naresh_Hanumanthakari AT satyam.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] converse discussion
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:22:14 -0500

Depending on what you are doing, using the converse-client server interface may or may not be the simplest implementation solution in Charm++.

CCS was designed to enable a communication path from non-charm non-converse applications to charm or converse applications. Typically, the Charm++ application is performing some computation on a parallel machine and the user wishes to interact with the running program. Usually this is to view the progress of the computation, or to guide the computation by injecting new events. The work can then be divided into a user centric client which can be implemented in any programming language supporting the C API, and a Charm++ (or Converse) implemented computation centric server. The classic example of this is the LiveViz interface which provide an API to allow graphical visualization of computation state. The Charm++ distribution comes with a LiveViz client implemented in Java.

Look in charm/examples/charm++/lvServer for a working example code.

For a generic CCS client server code see charm/examples/converse/ccstest.

There is also a python interface http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/manuals/html/charm++/3_22Python_scripting_langua.html

---

I think you'll find those examples more illuminating than my answers, but here they are nonetheless.

1. A converse handler (http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/manuals/html/converse/2_2Defining_Handler_Numbers.html) is triggered by the arrival of a message. The message is typically sent (http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/manuals/html/converse/2_5Sending_Messages.html) using a variant of the CmiSyncSend function.

2. Yes. See the charm/examples/converse/ccstest.

Naresh_Hanumanthakari wrote:
Please can you suggest me on these areas:,
client-server programming------------>
1. We are calling the HANDLER from client side,and the particular handler
function is invocated in the server-side,can you tell me where the actual
message is collected and how that message is passed to the handler function
as an argument.
2.Is it possible to have client in C language and server in Converse?If so,how the message can be passed from client side (implemented in C) to the server program (implemented in converse) and how it can be collected on the server side?can we use any buffer between this two programs,so that we this program can have the interaction? please can you suggest about these concepts in detail., I really need your help sir.
I am feeling difficult because without using converse-function in the client program i am unable to pass the message to server side(converse program).
Is it really needed to include converse related function in the client side which was implemented in C to send the message.
And also if there is any possibility to implement client -server program
using charm++ (not converse) please suggest me. and tell me the simple client
server program.
Regards
Naresh
+91-9886424203

| Satyam Computer Services Ltd | # 14 | Langford Avenue|Langford Garden | Lal
Bagh Road | Bangalore - 560 025 | Karnataka | India

DISCLAIMER:
the sender by email and delete all copies; your cooperation in this regard is
appreciated.