charm - Re: [charm] charm++ installation windows

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] charm++ installation windows

  • From: Gengbin Zheng <gzheng AT uiuc.edu>
  • To: Sangamesh B <forum.san AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Charm++ M L <ppl AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Charm ML <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] charm++ installation windows
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 01:42:53 -0500

Please find README.win under charm top level directory for the instruction on how to install Charm++ on windows.
Cygwin is required. Installing Cygwin on windows vista has all sorts of problems (mostly hang during installation). There are some workaround if you search on the web.

Gengbin

Sangamesh B wrote:

Hi All,

We're trying to compile charm++ (For NAMD compilation) on Windows. Till now we tried:

1. Compiling on native Windows: Visual C++ compiler and using nmake command.
Makefile.win32 refers to a folder called "Common", which is not available in src dir. Edited Makefile.win32 according the dir structure.
failed andd couldn't proceed.

2. Using SUA: SUA doesn't have bash shell. Installation of bash on SUA also failed.
Then used sh shell. This also failed.
Is Charm++/Charmc compilation certainly require bash?

3. Cygwin: Initial stage - errors. Still not completed.
Has any one compiled cham++ on windows? Can you share your experience with us..

Thanks,
Sangamesh