charm - Re: [charm] charm++ installation windows

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] charm++ installation windows

  • From: Gengbin Zheng <gzheng AT uiuc.edu>
  • To: Sangamesh B <forum.san AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Charm++ M L <ppl AT cs.uiuc.edu>, Charm ML <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] charm++ installation windows
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:36:44 -0500

Sangamesh,

If you check out latest charm from CVS, you can now compile charm++ with mingw like:

./build charm++ net-cygwin mingw

follow the instruction in charm/README.cygwin to install mingw win32api library.

Gengbin

Gengbin Zheng wrote:

Sangamesh,

you can build charm/NAMD using visual studio compiler, but you need to install cygwin to use "Make" and shell like in Linux. Using VC++ compiler, you will not have cygwin1.dll issue. Please see charm/README.win for some detailed information. The latest charm++ in CVS has some changes I made last night that sorted out some compilation errors with VC++.

-mno-cygwin requires MingW runtime, we never tried that before. But it should work with some tweaks. If you are interested in using mingW, I can take a look.

Gengbin

Sangamesh B wrote:
Hi Gengbin,

We built Charm and NAMD on Windows using Cygwin.

The charmrun.exe and namd2.exe executables contain cygwin1.dll dynamic library.

To remove this, we used "-mno-cygwin", in src/arch/net-cygwin/conv-mach.sh
as follows:

CMK_CC="gcc -mno-cygwin"
CMK_CXX="g++ -mno-cygwin"

But it thrown an error, during compilation.

Can you tell me where we can mention this or any other option, which can produce the executables free from cygwin1.dll.

Thank you,
Sangamesh