charm - Re: [charm] Which version should I install?

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Which version should I install?

  • From: "Chao Mei" <chaomei2 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "Christiane Pousa" <pousa.christiane AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Jean-François <Jean-Francois.Mehaut AT imag.fr>, charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Which version should I install?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:05:45 -0500

I just tried compiling charm-6.1.3 on an AMD Opeteron-based machine (2 quad-core chips, 8-cores in total) with "net-linux-x86_64-smp", and it worked. And the particular benchmark kNeighbor also executed without segment violation. Here is what I did:

1. Downloaded charm-6.1.3 from http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/distrib/charm-6.1.3_src.tar.gz
2. After uncompressing the src, I used command "./build charm++ net-linux-x86_64 -j4 smp" to build the "net-linux-x86_64-smp" layer.
3. Went to directory $CHARM/net-linux-x86_64-smp/tests/charm++/kNeighbor, and compiled the program.
4. Executed the program by using the command "./charmrun ++local ./kNeighbor 7 1000 1024 +p7 ++ppn7". In this command, I used "++local" because I only used the single local Opteron-based machine. When using smp layer, please remember to add option "++ppn" which indicates the number of cores per node (i.e., the #cores that share the same memory address space).

In your case, I would use "./charmrun ./kNeighbor 15 1000 1024 +p15 ++ppn 15" as the command.

Regarding your second error when removing "++local", have you set the ssh keys correctly, and the ".nodelist" for charmrun?

BTW, if the NUMA machine is the cluster you referred to the other day, and the total 16 cores consist of a NUMA-SMP machine, then "multicore-linux64" works better.

-Chao Mei