charm - Re: [charm] problem with charm++ freezing

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] problem with charm++ freezing

  • From: Marius Micluta <marius AT biochim.ro>
  • To: Olivier Demengeon <olivier.demengeon AT inria.fr>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] problem with charm++ freezing
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:30:38 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

I had a similar problem about a year ago on a cluster of the same size (Bull NovaScale), but with Gigabit Ethernet instead of IB, and the solution posted then on this list worked like a charm for me.

I always use the '++skip_cpu_topulogy' switch when launching a charm++ job. By that time it was undocumented and I had to apply a patch from the CVS, but now it should be available in the production release.

Topologies are different on Ethernet and IB, but for a small cluster it should matter less (and a less optimally tuned run is however better than a freeze), so you could give a try to the switch above.

Hope it helps,

Marius Micluta

--

Marius Micluta

Institute of Biochemistry of the Romanian Academy
296 Splaiul Independentei
060031 Bucharest
Romania
Tel: +40 21 223 90 69