charm - [charm] [sync] entry method

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] [sync] entry method

  • From: Haowei Huang <huangh AT in.tum.de>
  • To: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>, charm AT cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: [charm] [sync] entry method
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:31:32 +0200

      If I want to define a synchronous entry method in Chares, the return value must be a message. For example, A chare wants some information from B chare, then A calls sync entry method of B which returns a message. Before this communication happens, A must know the size of the message that B wants to return so A must send a message for requesting the size of returning message which might be another sync entry method of B. Must we define the communication pattern like that if we want to use sync entry method? The implementation is somehow similar to MPI communication pattern. Thanks a lot.

--
Haowei Huang
Ph.D. student