charm - Re: [charm] new network layer based on XMPP

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] new network layer based on XMPP

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Mikołaj Maćkowiak <mikolaj.mackowiak AT man.poznan.pl>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] new network layer based on XMPP
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 07:51:40 -0500

2010/9/3 Mikołaj Maćkowiak
<mikolaj.mackowiak AT man.poznan.pl>:
> some time ago we started to develop a MPI-like library based on Jabber
> protocol (XMPP). The charm++ project is very similar to the goal that we
> want to achieve. We have a message passing library and monitoring tool
> written in C. We want to combine our network layer with charm++. As far
> as I read the code, I need to implement a new machine.c file. Is that
> will be all? I'm new to charm++ and I will appreciate any help.

Hi Mikołaj,

Aside from the machine.c, there is just a simple header and shell
script pair (conv-mach.{h,sh}) to set various configuration macros and
compilation options.

Out of curiosity, what's the goal of this project? I can easily see a
pedagogical purpose in it (XMPP conversations being easier to read),
but I might be missing something else.

Phil