charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] help: questions about the data of Load Balancing State

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] help: questions about the data of Load Balancing State

  • From: Abhinav S Bhatele <bhatele AT illinois.edu>
  • To: hou pipinan <pipinan AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] help: questions about the data of Load Balancing State
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 23:41:37 -0600

Hello Bonan,

Please find answers below:

2010/12/3 hou pipinan <pipinan AT gmail.com>
Hi, everyone.
I tried to run a Charm++ application with option “+balancer CentralLB”
to print the Load Balancing State. Can you help me to explain the
meaning of the data?
1. The data in Object Data segment looks like

Object 2                                //are different kinds of
chares numbered unify?
   id = 0 2 4 0                               //what is the meaning of id?
 OM id = 7        Mig. = 1
  CPU = 0.004000         Wall = 0.003702
“.

All chares in a program can be uniquely identified by an object manager ID (OM id)
and a four integer object ID. In the load balancing database, the four integer ID is
uniquely mapped to one integer which is used as the index into the database.

2. We know that the Chare in Charm++ is migratable, and then does the
object id remain the same after migration?

The four integer ID remains the same throughout the lifetime of the program but
the index into the load balancing database can be different in each load balancing
phase.

3. As the data print according with LB period intervals, are the data
incremental (only the data just in that period are printed) or
accumulated from previous periods?

I am not 100% sure on this one but I think the data is only for the period
between two load balancing phases.

4. I notice that there is “receiver id = 436876768:[0 27 -1068911690
-1073741824]” in one of the Link information, but there is no such
object id in the Object Data section. What’s wrong?

I am not sure what's wrong here. Can you tell me which program were you
trying and give us more details.

My log file is attached. Thanks for your help.

Best regards.
Yours Bonan Hou

Bonan Hou
侯波南