charm - [charm] Stack pointer randomization warning.

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Stack pointer randomization warning.

  • From: Christopher Butler <chris.butler AT monash.edu>
  • To: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [charm] Stack pointer randomization warning.
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:59:21 -0000

Dear all,

I am beginning to write a parallel application using charm++ and have started running some small scale tests of load balancing using the mpi-linux version of charm++. However, I receive the following warning:
Warning> Randomization of stack pointer is turned on in kernel, thread migration may not work! Run 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space' as root to disable it, or try run with '+isomalloc_sync'.

Yet the program appears to run acceptably within a single system.

My question is when does this warning matter? or when can it cause the application to crash?

Chris Butler

  • [charm] Stack pointer randomization warning., Christopher Butler, 12/16/2010