charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Stack pointer randomization warning.

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Stack pointer randomization warning.

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Christopher Butler <chris.butler AT monash.edu>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Stack pointer randomization warning.
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 19:59:04 -0600

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 16:59, Christopher Butler
<chris.butler AT monash.edu>
wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am beginning to write a parallel application using charm++ and have
> started running some small scale tests of load balancing using the mpi-linux
> version of charm++. However, I receive the following warning:
> Warning> Randomization of stack pointer is turned on in kernel, thread
> migration may not work! Run 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space'
> as root to disable it, or try run with '+isomalloc_sync'.
> Yet the program appears to run acceptably within a single system.
> My question is when does this warning matter? or when can it cause the
> application to crash?

This warning can only affect programs that use the isomalloc memory
allocator for transparent migration purposes. Primarily, that means
AMPI applications. If you're writing Charm++ code, this warning can
safely be disregarded.

Sorry about the long-delayed response to this message. It appears to
have been caught in the list's moderation queue.

Phil