charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Deprecation of old machine layers

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Deprecation of old machine layers

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Abhinav S Bhatele <bhatele AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: Charm Mailing List <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Deprecation of old machine layers
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 16:14:35 -0500

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 16:11, Abhinav S Bhatele
<bhatele AT illinois.edu>
wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Phil Miller
> <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> The following machine layers are being considered for deletion. Please
>> respond to this message with any comments on this plan. If there are
>> no objections, the deletion will happen in a few days.
>>
>> Ancient:
>> # t3e (Cray)
>> # crayx1 (Cray)
>> # net-hp (HP-UX on PA-RISC)
>> # axp (DEC/Compaq Alpha)
>> # exemplar (HP)
>> # sp3 (IBM)
>> # ncube2 (Intel)
>> # origin (SGI)
>> # net-irix (SGI)
>> # net-sun (SunOS)
>>
>> Possibly still salient:
>> # net-sol (not net-sol(-x86_64)) - may reference useful SPARC-specific
>> code to be retained for a hypothetical net-linux-sparc
>> # vmi - Appears to be a dead project, with relevant machines going away
>> # uth - potentially useful for debugging purposes
>
> What about the crayxt3 layer? It will be hard to tell how many active XT3
> systems are there and if any run Charm. The top500 lists two -
> http://www.top500.org/system/10364
> http://www.top500.org/system/8373

We're not trying to be particularly aggressive in wiping these out. If
people still have and use the system/software stacks in question, it
should be straightforward for them to get Charm++ there. There's no
evidence that any of the layers listed even might still have users.