charm - Re: [charm] Charm++ initial setup

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Charm++ initial setup

  • From: Ramprasad Venkataraman <ramv AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "Larsen, Reed" <klarsen AT mitre.org>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Charm++ initial setup
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 10:05:54 -0500

Reed,

> Sorry I got distracted by other things, for a few days.  Can you give me a
> run-down of what I need to do to compile charm and where to place the list
> of servers.

The first step would be to use the smart-build.pl script thats located
in the charm base directory and try answering the questions it asks
you. The script should then suggest a build command for review and
start the build too. A reasonable command that it generates might look
as follows:

./build charm++ net-linux-x86_64 -j16 -g -O0

For now, the node list file that lists your compute nodes can be
placed in your home directory as .nodelist

> Also, what directories should charm and git be in? does it matter? Right
> now I have them in the top directory.

Some clusters install charm in a system-wide location. However, since
you might have to play with multiple builds etc, I suggest you install
charm in your home directory.

git installation is unrelated to charm installation. You only need git
to get a copy of the latest development charm. Its more of a sysadmin
concern and you can follow any conventions that you think are
appropriate.

--
Ramprasad Venkataraman
Parallel Programming Lab