charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about BigNetSim

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about BigNetSim

  • From: Ryan Mokos <ryan.mokos AT gmail.com>
  • To: Xuehan Xu <xxhdx1985126 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about BigNetSim
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:10:55 -0500

Hi Xuehan,

As the message states, this is a potential error, but it may not be critical to the completion of your simulation.  If you're running BigNetSim on multiple physical PEs, rollbacks may occur that will cancel this potential error condition.  Does your simulation complete anyway, or does it end prematurely with some kind of error?  And are you running BigNetSim sequentially, on 1 PE, or in parallel, on multiple PEs?

Also, you can run with an extra command line parameter, -check, that will tell you how many unexecuted events are left for each time line.  If no events are listed (it's ok if event 0 is listed for every time line except time line 0), or if some events at the beginning of the simulation are listed because you started the simulation at a skip point, then you're fine.  Otherwise, there may be a problem with your traces or a bug in BigNetSim.

Ryan