charm - Re: [charm] Question about POSE

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Question about POSE

  • From: Ryan Mokos <ryan.mokos AT gmail.com>
  • To: Xuehan Xu <xxhdx1985126 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Question about POSE
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 13:20:41 -0500

Hi Xuehan,

How did you modify the code, and what were you trying to accomplish by modifying it?  The only time you should need to write/modify code is if you're adding another network model.

It's hard to say exactly what the problem is without knowing what you changed.  The only guess I have is that you are manually deleting a message received by a poser in one of its entry methods.  This is not necessary as POSE automatically takes care of this.

When you compile a POSE program (such as BigNetSim), first, a source-to-source translation is performed on the code by a pearl script, etrans.pl.  This is what generates the*_sim.h and *_sim.C files that appear.  This translation converts POSE macros (such as POSE_invoke) to charm code.  So when you run the program, you're basically running a program built on POSE, which is built on charm, which is built on converse.  All the code written for a poser ends up in functions that are called by the POSE framework.  If something is breaking in POSE, then either there's a bug in POSE, or BigNetSim is doing something to the state of a poser that causes POSE to break.

Ryan