charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] About time complexity in remote method calling in CHARM++

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] About time complexity in remote method calling in CHARM++

  • From: Abhinav S Bhatele <bhatele AT illinoisalumni.org>
  • To: SAGAR SHEDGE <sagar.shedge92 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu, Aaron Becker <abecker3 AT illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] About time complexity in remote method calling in CHARM++
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:50:12 -0000

We have a paper on CkDirect which you can read for more information:
http://charm.cs.illinois.edu/papers/08-11

You can also find some examples in the charm distribution at:
examples/charm++/ckdirect

- Abhinav

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:31 PM, SAGAR SHEDGE <sagar.shedge92 AT gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I used both parameter marshalling and message passing and I also observed that there is no such difference in execution time in both code. It requires relatively same time.

So that I was thinking about using CkDirect but I never tried it. I will try for it also.

But I want ask that :

1. what is difference between message passing and using CkDirect?
2. How it works?
3. How it will help me to reduce communication time over computation in both cases?

If you have small example of CkDirect then please forward.

Thank you once again and I enjoy CHARM++.