charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] About syntax

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] About syntax

  • From: Abhinav Bhatele <bhatele AT illinoisalumni.org>
  • To: SAGAR SHEDGE <sagar.shedge92 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Charm Mailing List <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] About syntax
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 08:48:59 -0700

Hello Sagar,

CkArrayMap is used by the runtime i.e. Charm++ to provide a default mapping of array elements to physical processors. You can override that default mapping by creating your own map as the kNeighbor code does below.

A user defined mapping consists of providing a function which given the CkArrayIndex for an array element returns the processor the element resides on. This function is called procNum and you have to define it for a customized mapping.

For most chare arrays (1D, 2D, 3D) you do not need to write your own map function.
Also an alternative way of providing a map, it to use insert(int pe) for each array element when you create an array. Please look in the charm manual for examples.

- Abhinav