charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Appropriate build type for LLNL linux clusters

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Appropriate build type for LLNL linux clusters

  • From: "Lee, Ian" <lee1001 AT llnl.gov>
  • To: Jim Phillips <jim AT ks.uiuc.edu>, Abhinav Bhatele <bhatele AT illinoisalumni.org>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>, "Bennion, Brian" <Bennion1 AT llnl.gov>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Appropriate build type for LLNL linux clusters
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:39:30 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Brian,

For what it's worth, I have also been looking at some of the LLNL clusters
and was able to build and run the test cases on a single node using:

On Hera:
./build net-linux-x86_64 gcc

I was not able to build any of the MPI builds on Hera or Atlas due to they do
not have mpicxx installed. Though from your email just now it sounds like
maybe you got this working somehow?

I was also able to successfully build on udawn using:
./build charm++ mpi-bluegenep xlc
./build charm++ mpi-bluegenep
./build charm++ bluegenep

However....

Charm++ mailing list:

I am receiving an error for the two mpi-* builds when I try to run that "You
must set the BL_HOME environment variable" but I can't seem to find anything
to point me to what that should be set as.

On the "./build charm++ bluegenep" case I receive the following message,
which I'm actually not sure if it is coming from Charm++ or BG/P:

$ ./charmrun ./hello
Running on 1 processors: ./hello
Submitting batch job for> 1 ./hello
using the command> qsub -t 30 -n 1 ./hello
./charmrun: line 68: qsub: command not found

~ Ian

Ian Lee
Engineering Technologies Division
Engineering Directorate