charm - [charm] current results on LLNL cluster

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] current results on LLNL cluster

  • From: "Bennion, Brian" <Bennion1 AT llnl.gov>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] current results on LLNL cluster
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 10:21:45 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hello,

Compilation of all the suggested versions of charm++ have been completed.
They were:
mpi-linux-x86_64
mpi-linux-x86_64 smp
net-linux-x86_64 ivberbs
net-linux-x86_64 ibverbs smp

It appears that the first charmm build is the best for namd2.8. I saw a 25%
speedup on my regular jobs using the same processor counts. No extra tricks
were employed in compiling charm++ or namd2.8.

The ibverbs version did compile for charm++ and namd2.8 and was even able to
start. however, sockets closed prematurely on some node and the whole things
burns to the ground.

Two quick thoughts here. First, looking at the charm.XXXXX files that are
created, they look for some /tmp/charm.XXXX directories that are not going to
be available. The tmp filesystem goes by username it /tmp/bennion1/XXXXX
Second, I will check with our admins to see if using ib layer is even
permissible.

Brian