charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about interpolation

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about interpolation

  • From: Xuehan Xu <xxhdx1985126 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Gengbin Zheng <zhenggb AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about interpolation
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:44:56 +0800

Hi, sir:-)
Sorry for keep on asking, I have no means to bother you, but I'm
still confused about the record-replay feature of bigsim.
I read your papers----"Simulating Large Scale Parallel
Applications using Statistical Models for Sequential Execution Blocks"
and "Robust Non-Intrusive Record-Replay with Processor Extraction".
According to these two papers, bigsim emulator should be able to
"replay the application and record the detailed traces". I read the
source code of bgMain, and find the two command-line arguments:
"+bgrecord" and "+bgreplay", according to the description of both
arguments, it seems that "+bgrecord" is to let bigsim record the
message ordering of the simulated application, and "+bgreplay" is to
replay the process that ran on the specific target processor. But it
seems that there is no arguments to let bigsim emulator record the
detailed traces.
I'm very confused, sir. Please help me, thank you very much:-)

On 15/10/2011, Xuehan Xu
<xxhdx1985126 AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thank you very much, sir:-)
>
> On 15/10/2011, Gengbin Zheng
> <zhenggb AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Xuehan,
>>
>> If you are using startTraceBigSim and endTraceBigSim already, you
>> don't need to call BgMark(). Those two functions already call it.
>>
>> Gengbin
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Xuehan Xu
>> <xxhdx1985126 AT gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Thank you, sir:-)
>>> So, I have to call BgMark in the code when running the emulator, and
>>> call
>>> startTraceBigSim() and endTraceBigSim() in the same code when running it