charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] CkStartCheckpoint question

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] CkStartCheckpoint question

  • From: Evghenii Gaburov <e-gaburov AT northwestern.edu>
  • To: Esteban Meneses-Rojas <emenese2 AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] CkStartCheckpoint question
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 02:38:42 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Thanks for prompt reply!

> Now, can you describe the scenario in which you need this feature?
> Maybe, we can find an alternative solution to your problem.
It is not a deal breaker of course, more like a convenience feature.

One simple example is to pass a parameter that informs the program only to
extract data from the checkpoint file and write it to disk in an other format
for further analysis (e.g. in case of a crash) instead of restart
computations. Or to change, say, time-step estimate in case of a hydrocode
(CFL number which is a just a floating point number < 1 global for all code).

I am sure one may come up with other examples showing that having a means to
change few parameter during restart will be nice feature to have.

Cheers,
Evghenii