charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about GVT

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about GVT

  • From: Ryan Mokos <ryan.mokos AT gmail.com>
  • To: Xuehan Xu <xxhdx1985126 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Question about GVT
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 11:17:49 -0500

Hi Xuehan,

This is odd.  While such a difference between the OVTs and GVT could theoretically exist, it should only last until the end of that GVT iteration.  It is also possible for the OVTs of some of the posers to be less than the GVT if they haven't had recent events processed on them.  However, I think that the OVT of at least 1 poser should always be >= the GVT.  In any case, your OVTs look reasonable while the GVT does not.

First, are you using 64-bit timestamps in POSE?  To check if you are, look in charm/src/libs/ck-libs/pose/pose_config.h and make sure the line with #define USE_LONG_TIMESTAMPS 1 is *not* commented out.  You want USE_LONG_TIMESTAMPS set to 1.

Next, are you printing the GVTs and OVTs correctly?  Are you treating them as 64-bit integers?

Finally, do you treat timestamps in your network model as 64-bit integers?

If looking at those things doesn't point out any problems, try running the simulation sequentially (compile BigNetSim with SEQUENTIAL=1 and run on 1 processor) and see if you get the same results.  You could also try looking at conGVT (conservative GVT), optGVT (optimistic GVT), and estGVT (GVT estimate) in charm/src/libs/ck-libs/pose/gvt.C and print their values to see if you can find at what point the GVT blows up.

Ryan