charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] charm vs AMPI

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] charm vs AMPI

  • From: Gengbin Zheng <zhenggb AT gmail.com>
  • To: Evghenii Gaburov <e-gaburov AT northwestern.edu>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] charm vs AMPI
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 11:11:23 -0600

AMPI is an implementation of MPI standard 1.1 on top of Charm++. The
benefits you mentioned below from charm++ are retained in AMPI. Please
refer to AMPI manual for the MPI extensions for doing load balancing
and checkpointing.

It sometimes take some efforts to convert an MPI program to AMPI due
to the multi-threading execution and global variable sharing. However,
AMPI provides a set of tools to automate such process (please refer to
recent AMPI papers for the information about the tools).

Having said that, since AMPI is a library implemented on top of
charm++ (which means another layer, and associated overhead), it is
mainly for legacy MPI application to take advantage of charm++
benefits.

Gengbin

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Evghenii Gaburov
<e-gaburov AT northwestern.edu>