charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Vectors in Charm++

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Vectors in Charm++

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Nasim Muhammad <naseem8442 AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: Charm Mailing List <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Vectors in Charm++
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:37:56 -0500

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:02, Nasim Muhammad
<naseem8442 AT hotmail.com>
wrote:
> I am creating objects and storing in a vector. I don’t know in advance that
> how many objects I need to create and there is addition and deletion of
> those objects throughout my simulation. Therefore I can’t use fixed
> dimensional array. Let’s say, If I create those objects on processor 0 and
> submit my job on 4 processors then how would I distribute them on other
> processors?
>
> I am looking for a sample code or something that might help. I am stuck at
> the moment and need your help.

Hi Nasim,

Charm++ supports dynamically creating parallel objects and
distributing them among the processors in a system. Unless one tells
it specifically where to create a new chare, it actually distributes
them across all available processors by default.

What is the structure of your parallel algorithm? Is there a master
object that spawns tasks and waits for them complete? Assuming a
master-worker paradigm, do the worker tasks ever need to communicate
with each other, or just the master? Will the master ever 'broadcast'
to the existing task objects, or just communicate with them
individually?

The more you tell us about your planned application, the more we can be of
help.

Phil

  • Re: [charm] [ppl] Vectors in Charm++, Phil Miller, 03/23/2012