charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Using TAU with AMPI

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Using TAU with AMPI

  • From: Chee Wai Lee <cheewai1972 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Xoan Carlos Pardo Martinez <xoanpardo AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Using TAU with AMPI
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:18:05 -0700

Hi Xoan,

I do not believe anyone has attempted to use TAU profiling (via the
Charm++-TAU measurement interface) on AMPI so far. I should be able to help
you navigate through some of the issues and perhaps adapt the framework to
enable what you desire if some functionality is missing.

The way TAU interfaces with the Charm++ runtime to measure the
performance of Charm++ events (on top of which AMPI is built) is through
callback hooks provided by the runtime system. You will need to follow steps
similar to the following:

http://www.nic.uoregon.edu/tau-wiki/Guide:NAMDTAU

The only requirements on the configuration and building of TAU is
that it should match the Charm++ build as closely as possible (the
architecture, the compilers and the use of any underlying MPI layers). In
your case, the use of "-no-trace-mpi" is critical. As a default, TAU wraps
MPI calls. In the case of attempting to measure AMPI performance, we do not
want to do that (it is actually unclear which MPI layer gets wrapped in this
case) but instead interpret the calls according to what the Charm++ runtime
tells TAU.

You may contact me via skype if you need any interactive assistance
on the matter. What you are doing is new as far as I know and might require
some work to get going correctly. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Chee Wai Lee
University of Oregon