charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Using TAU with AMPI

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Using TAU with AMPI

  • From: Xoan Carlos Pardo Martinez <xoanpardo AT gmail.com>
  • To: Chee Wai Lee <cheewai1972 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Using TAU with AMPI
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:02:45 +0200

Hi Chee,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I´m still having some doubts on the right way to make my experiments. At this point I´ve compiled CHARM to use
default TCP communications over InfiniBand (so no underlying MPI communications should be used by CHARM).
I´m interested in measuring exclusive/inclusive times of both MPI and non-MPI routines for different programs
(some of them taken from the NPB benchmarks).

What I fail to see is if I really need to use the Charm++-TAU measurement interface. If I compile TAU to use CHARM
threads and AMPI as underlying MPI implementation, build my programs with AMPI and run them by using the TAU
interposition library, should I get the times as seen by the AMPI application, isn´t it or am I missing anything?

I take note of your offering for interactive assitance, but before contacting you I'd like to make some tests to have
it clear to myself in what I really need assistance  ;-D

Best regards
----
Xoan C. Pardo
Computer Architecture Group