charm - [charm] Questions about developing in Charm++

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Questions about developing in Charm++

  • From: "McCandless, Brian C." <mccandless3 AT llnl.gov>
  • To: "charm AT cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Questions about developing in Charm++
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:16:27 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hello,

I am in the process of re-writing a small MPI based application with Charm++.    It's working out very well so far.  However, there are a few issue that come up during my development cycle that are slowing me down.   I have been talking to Abhinav Bhatele, and he suggested that I forward my questions to the mailing list.

1.  The error message when there is a syntax error in the .ci file is not very helpful.   I get a line number and a message that says "syntax error", and that's it.  For example, I recently had the bug of typing "[reductionTarget]" instead of "[reductiontarget]" and the line number was no where near my mistake.  Is there a better way to find bugs like these?

2.  The other sort of error is a C++ error in the SDAG coding.  Here I get the C++ error message, but the line number is at the <chareName>_SDAG_CODE macro.  Sometimes it's easy to figure these out from the context, but sometimes it's not.  What is normally an automatic process of jumping to the next compiler warning/error in my editor,  now requires a bit more mental energy to figure out.

What do Charm++ developers typically do to speed up the development cycle in these cases?

Thanks,
 Brian

  • [charm] Questions about developing in Charm++, McCandless, Brian C., 07/31/2012