charm - [charm] Cannot contact daemon remotely

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Cannot contact daemon remotely

  • From: "Geoff D. Hilyard" <gdhilyard AT RegalDecision.com>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Cannot contact daemon remotely
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 10:23:17 -0400
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US

Hi all.

I’m going thru the tutorials, trying to test our Charm++.

Basically.  I’m trying to run a program ( charmtestexe ) using the command “./charmrun ./charmtestexe +p1”.  P1 being a “Remote” computer, which is really the localhost.  The error message comes up with “Error ‘N’ starting remote node program on DCM8QHH1 – could not contact daemon—is it running?”

Backround first:  Not a Unix/Linux guy.  I have a Windows XP SP3 machine, and have downloaded and installed Cygwin.  I have started SSH(D), and have setup password-less logins with SSH.  I can “ssh localhost date” without a password, and it returns the date.  I have made a charmtestexe, and have compiled it.  It’s basically the array Hello World example, where a Chare calls the next Chare.

I downloaded Charm++ 6.2 binaries ( Can’t get the 6.4 from the website ) for net-win32.  I put them under my D Drive.  Cygwin is under my C Drive ( Which could be 1 issue ).  My CharmTestExe is also compiled on the D Drive.

Firewall is turned off.  And finally staying off.

I put a AddCharm.sh in my profile.d ( cygwin\etc\profile.d ) directory, with the following:

PATH=/cygdrive/d/ModelAttempts/CharmPP/charm6.2/net-win32/bin:${PATH}

PATH=/cygdrive/d/ModelAttempts/CharmPP/CharmTest/CharmTest:${PATH}

export PATH

The first path is where I have downloaded the Charm++ program, and the binaries live.  The second is where my test program resides.  I was thinking that it couldn’t find the exe to execute remotely.  This did not help.  If I “echo $PATH”, I do have both paths listed, and separated by a ‘:’.  However, I do not need charmrun or charmtestexe in my home directory to run the commands with this in.

My Nodelist file is as follows (DCM8QHH1 is my local machine, with 2 CPUs, and I’m using ssh to connect ):

group main

host DCM8QHH1 ++cpus 2 ++shell ssh

I have also copied charmrun.exe and charmtestexe to my $Home directory ( cygwin\home\gdhilyard, with gdhilyard being my user name on the domain ).  I was thinking, again, it couldn’t find the program.  This didn’t change anything either.  ( I currently do NOT have them there )

If I add the ++verbose, I get the following ( How do you copy and paste from the cygwin terminal? ):

$Charmrun charmtestexe +p1 ++verbose

Charmrun> charmrun started…

Charmrun> using ./nodelist as nodesfile

Charmrun> adding client 0:  “DCM8QHH1”, IP:192.168.10.19

Charmrun> Starting node program 0 on “DCM8QHH1’ as c:\cygwin\home\gdhilyard\charmtestexe

Error ‘N’ starting remote node program on DCM8QHH1 –

could not contact daemon—is it running?

If I run do the ++local ($ charmrun charmtestexe +p2 ++verbose ++local), it works as expected.  With two processors used ( If I have +p1, only one is used. )

So.  Where have I gone wrong?  I’d like to get this up and running.  We are going to move our pedestrian / vehicle computer simulation to a parallel language, and so we are testing a few out.  Charm++ looks the most promising, but I’m getting hung up just getting the examples to run.

Thanks in advance

Geoff Hilyard

Lead Software Developer

Regal Decision Systems, Inc.