charm - Re: [charm] Migratable objects

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Migratable objects

  • From: "Kale, Laxmikant V" <kale AT illinois.edu>
  • To: François Tessier <francois.tessier AT inria.fr>, "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Migratable objects
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:46:16 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

In some applications, the programmer may want some chares to not migrate.
The reasons can be varied. E.g. In NAMD, it was considered that one class
of chares (the "cells" or "patches") stay put, after an initial (possibly
topology aware) mapping, while the others (say force-computation chares)
are migratable.
This makes the load balancing more predictable. To cater to such
situations, we allow users tpo specify which chares are migratable and
which are not. So, if your purpose is a general purpose balancer used by
many apps, I suggest you take that flag into consideration. Otherwise, IF
the programmer has not written PUP (serialization) routines for those
chares, the program will not work. Of course, if you want to test your
balancer as a reseearch vehicle, then just select benchmarks thatdo not
have non-migratable chares, and it will work fine.

Hope that helps.

--
Laxmikant (Sanjay) Kale http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu
<http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/>