charm - Re: [charm] perf data in charm++

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] perf data in charm++

  • From: "Kale, Laxmikant V" <kale AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Noel Keen <ndkeen AT lbl.gov>, "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] perf data in charm++
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 18:24:17 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

Projections is the native performance tool that comes with Charm++ and is
great for visualizing such data.
I assume someone else will answer your question in more detail as well.

But: are you looking for a single-core (or single-node) data for thread
creation overhead? My guess is it is around or below 1us for context
switching (essentially saving register state). It an be optimized further
(by explicitly saving a partial live state), but in most applications we
deal with, that has not been an issue.

Also, remember that the more common method in Charm++ is to not use
threads that need a stack of there own, but simple entry methods (or
structured dagger). The overhead for them is even lower, and of the order
of a few function calls.

--

Laxmikant (Sanjay) Kale http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu
<http://charm.cs.uiuc.edu/>