charm - [charm] wrong port with dual-port InfiniBand adaptor

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] wrong port with dual-port InfiniBand adaptor

  • From: "Christian Tuma" <tuma AT zib.de>
  • To: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [charm] wrong port with dual-port InfiniBand adaptor
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:55:06 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

I have built NAMD 2.9 (including charm 6.4.0). Our machine has nodes
equipped with one dual-port InfiniBand adaptor each. One port is connected
to our communication network (MPI, interface "ib0"), the other port is
dedicated to I/O (Lustre, interface "ib1"). When running NAMD I observe
that it uses the "wrong" port, that is, NAMD uses our I/O network ("ib1")
for communication.

How can I make NAMD communicate over the other InfiniBand port (using
"ib0")? From an earlier thread on this list in June 2012 I have learnt
that the port number is hard-coded into charm 6.4.0. I took the simple and
naive approach to change line 470 in
charm-6.4.0/src/arch/net/machine-ibverbs.c

from
"ibPort=1;"

"ibPort=0;"

but this didn't help, it crashes when doing the pgm test in
charm-6.4.0/tests/charm++/megatest.

What can I do, any suggestions from the experts?

Some more info ...

For building charm I use

./build charm++ net-linux-x86_64 gcc ibverbs gfortran -j8 -O3
-mtune=native -ffast-math

Output of 'ibstat':

CA 'mlx4_0'
CA type: MT26418
Number of ports: 2
Firmware version: 2.7.0
Hardware version: a0
Node GUID: 0x0030487fb6180000
System image GUID: 0x0030487fb6180003
Port 1:
State: Active
Physical state: LinkUp
Rate: 20
Base lid: 149
LMC: 0
SM lid: 1
Capability mask: 0x02510868
Port GUID: 0x0030487fb6180001
Link layer: IB
Port 2:
State: Active
Physical state: LinkUp
Rate: 20
Base lid: 229
LMC: 0
SM lid: 1
Capability mask: 0x02510868
Port GUID: 0x0030487fb6180002
Link layer: IB

Appreciating your help -

Christian

  • [charm] wrong port with dual-port InfiniBand adaptor, Christian Tuma, 05/15/2013