charm - [charm] charm++ warning messages

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] charm++ warning messages

  • From: Bo Zhang <zhang416 AT indiana.edu>
  • To: charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: [charm] charm++ warning messages
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 15:03:00 -0400

Hello charm team,

I have been running a charm program on a cray xe6 machine with different
configurations. Some of them produce a warning message, and I would like to
know the cause for that.

Script for job1:

#! /bin/bash
#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=32
#PBS -l walltime=24:00:00
#PBS -q cpu
#PBS -N lulesh_charm
#PBS -V

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
aprun -n 64 ./lulesh 128 32

Output for job1:
zhang416@login1:~/work/lulesh-charm>
cat *.o91471
Charm++> Running on Gemini (GNI) with 64 processes
Charm++> static SMSG
Charm++> SMSG memory: 316.0KB
Charm++> memory pool init block size: 8MB, total memory pool limit 0MB (0
means no limit)
Charm++> memory pool registered memory limit: 200000MB, send limit: 100000MB
Charm++> only comm thread send/recv messages
Charm++> Cray TLB page size: 8192K
Charm++> Running in SMP mode: numNodes 64, 1 worker threads per process
Charm++> The comm. thread both sends and receives messages
Converse/Charm++ Commit ID:
CharmLB> Load balancer assumes all CPUs are same.
Charm++> Running on 2 unique compute nodes (32-way SMP).

Charm++> Warning: the number of SMP threads (64) is greater than the number
of physical cores (32), so threads will sleep while idling. Use
+CmiSpinOnIdle or +CmiSleepOnIdle to control this directly.

Script for job2:
#! /bin/bash
#PBS -l nodes=16:ppn=32
#PBS -l walltime=24:00:00
#PBS -q cpu
#PBS -N lulesh_charm
#PBS -V

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR
aprun -n 512 ./lulesh 256 32

Output for job2:
zhang416@login1:~/work/lulesh-charm/old-log>
cat *.o91481
Charm++> Running on Gemini (GNI) with 512 processes
Charm++> static SMSG
Charm++> SMSG memory: 2528.0KB
Charm++> memory pool init block size: 8MB, total memory pool limit 0MB (0
means no limit)
Charm++> memory pool registered memory limit: 200000MB, send limit: 100000MB
Charm++> only comm thread send/recv messages
Charm++> Cray TLB page size: 8192K
Charm++> Running in SMP mode: numNodes 512, 1 worker threads per process
Charm++> The comm. thread both sends and receives messages
Converse/Charm++ Commit ID:
CharmLB> Load balancer assumes all CPUs are same.
Charm++> Running on 16 unique compute nodes (32-way SMP).

I am wondering why I get the warning message in the first case but not the
second case.

I am using charm-6.5.1 and build it with

./build charm++ gemini_gni-crayxe smp persistent hugepages -j16
--with-production

I have rca and craype-hugepages8M modules loaded.

Thanks,

Bo