charm - Re: [charm] Opening timeline problem (Projections issue)

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Opening timeline problem (Projections issue)

  • From: Eric Bohm <ebohm AT illinois.edu>
  • To: <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>, <rqg.gomes AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Opening timeline problem (Projections issue)
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 10:22:47 -0500

Hello Roberto,

The former problem can usually be redressed by increasing the amount of log data which is held in memory before writing to disk.

Add +logsize 2000000
to the command line for your program execution, or a larger number if that is insufficient.  If that is not sufficient there are several slightly more intrusive schemes for collecting less data described in the manual, which we can discuss as necessary.

The second problem is similar in that you are trying to load more than the Java VM will handle in at least one of the threads.   You can address this by loading less data (fewer timelines, or a shorter time span).  If your machine has an unusually large amount of memory, it is possible to access it by passing very large values to  the -Xmx and -Xss command line flag which controls maximum VM memory and maximum thread stack size respectively.  The large gaps were probably due to the flush to disk events that you were warned about when the traces were made.