charm - [charm] sending an object using PUP

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] sending an object using PUP

  • From: Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock AT gmail.com>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] sending an object using PUP
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 13:31:53 -0700

suppose I use the foo class as in the example code in chapter 6 and I include an instance of it as a field in a chare. Since foo defines pup(), the chare can be migrated.

Now suppose I would like to send the foo instance to some other chare. I could write a CMessage and define pack(), unpack(), and alloc(), but it seems that since foo already defines pup(), there should be a much simpler way.

To make this more concrete, I would like to do something like the following:

class Bar : public CBase_Bar {
  private:
    foo myFoo;
  public: