charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Redirect each PE's stdout/stderr to a file?

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Redirect each PE's stdout/stderr to a file?

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Jim Phillips <jim AT ks.uiuc.edu>, Charm Mailing List <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Redirect each PE's stdout/stderr to a file?
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 14:58:15 -0600

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Jim Phillips <jim AT ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

You can probably write a runscript to do this.  -Jim

I don't think a wrapper script would be effective, at least not on a net* build, because the runtime internally redirects those FDs through a pipe that it then sends to charmrun. The problem is that when the program crashes, there can be unflushed data in that pipe that one will never see. In my case, I'm using AddressSanitizer and expecting output as the process dies, and I'm guaranteed not to see that reach charmrun.