charm - Re: [charm] Interrupt Messages in Charm

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Interrupt Messages in Charm

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Hrushit Parikh <parikhhrushit AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Interrupt Messages in Charm
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:15:39 -0500

Hi Hrushit,

You've understood correctly - execution of Charm++ application code is entirely non-preemptive.

If you have code in which you strongly wish to cooperatively schedule work, an object's method can send itself another message and return to the scheduler, or (if using the [threaded] attribute) yield to the scheduler by calling CthYield().

In general, though, we lean more towards tuning programs so that the grain size (the time any one method takes to execute) is not so long as to demand pre-emption for other work. Note that Charm++ execution in general is driven by the events of message delivery. Messages can be given absolute priority by sending them to methods marked with the [expedited] attribute, or they can be given relative priority as described in the manual:

http://charm.cs.illinois.edu/manuals/html/charm++/10.html#SECTION02130000000000000000

Please feel free to post with any further questions you have.

Good luck and happy coding,

Phil