charm - Re: [charm] barrier without reduction

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] barrier without reduction

  • From: Jeff Hammond <jeff.science AT gmail.com>
  • To: Robert Steinke <rsteinke AT uwyo.edu>
  • Cc: charm AT cs.illinois.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] barrier without reduction
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:07:08 -0700

> I suppose one solution would be to call MPI_Barrier directly, but I don't
> like that solution. First of all, is it safe to do that from within my
> Charm++ code? Will it always be safe in future versions of Charm++? It
> seems like a dangerous use of undocumented functionality. Also, the code
> would not be portable to Charm++ installs that were not compiled to use MPI.

Calling MPI from Charm++ is definitely not safe in the general case,
if for no other reason than you can't assume MPI is even linked into
the application. Charm++ has native network ports (i.e. bypass MPI)
on a number of systems. Furthermore, there is the obvious difference
in the execution model: MPI is a static execution model based off of
CSP. Charm++ is decidedly not.

Best,

Jeff, who is not a Charm++ guru but claims some expertise in MPI

--
Jeff Hammond
jeff.science AT gmail.com