charm - Re: [charm] Global variables in Charm++

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Global variables in Charm++

  • From: "Van Der Wijngaart, Rob F" <rob.f.van.der.wijngaart AT intel.com>
  • To: Nikhil Jain <nikhil.life AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "Kunzman, David M" <david.m.kunzman AT intel.com>, "Hammond, Jeff R" <jeff.r.hammond AT intel.com>, "Mattson, Timothy G" <timothy.g.mattson AT intel.com>, "charm AT cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Global variables in Charm++
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 22:36:32 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US

And here is another thing I ran into. It’s actually much less innocent than it seems.

Charmc doesn’t do the kind of type/syntax checking that a production compiler does. For example, I made some mistakes in the CkPrintf function (mismatch between I/O descriptor and type of variable being printed, or sometimes even a mismatch between the number of variables printed and the number of I/O descriptors). Charmc didn’t pick that up. So my code compiled just fine and I was merrily staring out the result of some print statements that made absolutely no sense. Could charmc start doing those checks as well? Thanks!

Rob