charm - Re: [charm] Scheduling of VPs

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Scheduling of VPs

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Rafael Keller Tesser <rktesser AT inf.ufrgs.br>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Scheduling of VPs
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:09:01 -0600

By default, messages are delivered in FIFO order on each PE, and execution proceeds accordingly. In Charm++ code, it's possible to set desired message priorities and queueing order, according to the manual
http://charm.cs.illinois.edu/manuals/html/charm++/10.html#SECTION02130000000000000000
This gives the runtime system hints on the order that the developer expects to produce the best performance, but doesn't offer any guarantee of execution order.

AMPI doesn't currently offer a way to directly prioritize its messages. Please let us know if this arises as a performance problem in an application you're working with.