charm - Re: [charm] help with virtual processor and physical processos

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] help with virtual processor and physical processos

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Sabrina Bergoch <sabrinabms AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] help with virtual processor and physical processos
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:52:34 -0600

In both AMPI and normal Charm++, I believe that CkMyPe() should give you a more sensible view of which real execution unit (processing element) the code is running on. I hesitate to say 'physical processor' because there may not be a direct correspondence between PE and processor for a variety of reasons.

Looking at PID definitely doesn't tell you physical processor, for a few reasons. First, Charm++ has an SMP mode that lets multiple PEs run in a single process, so that they can pass messages by pointer. Second, PID may be the same for processes on different nodes. If you want a distinct identifier for the process, you can call CkMyNode() (current Charm++ calls each OS process a 'node').

I hope this is useful. It would help if you describe the more detailed problem you're facing.

Phil