charm - Re: [charm] [ppl] Add Nodes at runtime

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] [ppl] Add Nodes at runtime

  • From: Ralf Gunter Correa Carvalho <correac2 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Vinícius Meyer <vinimeyer AT hotmail.com>, charm AT cs.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: [charm] [ppl] Add Nodes at runtime
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 15:07:09 -0500

Please make sure you keep the mailing list CC'd on replies.

We are working on integrating this feature for a future release, but depending on how bleeding edge you are willing to be we may be able to set you up with an experimental branch. Currently our point person for that (Bilge Acun -- cc'd), who built on top of work from Abhishek Gupta (also cc'd, though possibly to an old address), is away until mid June, but I've worked on that a little bit and might be able to get you up and running. Here's another reference to check before proceeding with this:

  http://charm.cs.illinois.edu/newPapers/14-29/paper.pdf

Ralf,
Thanks for the answer. The idea of my project is to create a cloud computing environment to acquire performance in some application. Exploring this multi level architecture:

nodes (hosts) -> VMs (virtual machines) -> processes (objects).

With the reconfiguration of VMs I wish:

- Create objects;
- Migrate objects;
- Consolidate objects.

With the CHARM ++ this would be possible. If the system needed more VMs (elasticity) the CHARM ++ could send "chares" for new processing cores to reschedule the system.

Vinícius M.