charm - Re: [charm] LB timings

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] LB timings

  • From: François Tessier <francois.tessier AT inria.fr>
  • To: Harshitha Menon <gplkrsh2 AT illinois.edu>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] LB timings
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:14:52 +0200

Hello Harshitha,

I ran  a couple of experiments with and without +LBCommOff on 256 cores. I noticed a few things :
    - When using +LBCommOff, the "time step" is stable for each load balancer.
    - If I remove +LBCommOff, I obtain sometimes the same "time step" and sometimes an higher value. It varies from one execution to another.
    - With TreeMatchLB, when I use +LBCommOff the whole execution time is reduced. On some experiments without +LBCommOff, the "time step" is the same as the execution without the option but the total execution time is higher.

I'll carry out more experiments to understand what happens. It could be a real issue if the gathering of communication data takes to much time...

Best regards,

François
--
François TESSIER