charm - [charm] Projections idle time

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Projections idle time

  • From: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT gmail.com>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Projections idle time
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 15:56:21 -0700

Hi folks,

If I understand correctly, the projections tool collects information on entry methods only by default. If that is the case, how can I add timing of a non-entry method?

Also, what is the definition of "idle time" and how can I find out the reason for it? Does idle time include simply a CPU waiting for work or does it include some work that is not timed, i.e., not in the projections database?

I have added a user event for a section that I *think* ought to show up on the timeline but I don't see it on the timeline graph, only on the user events list.

Can someone please explain?

Thanks in advance,
Jozsef