charm - Re: [charm] Adaptive MPI needs MPI_WIN_BASE (and other attributes)

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Adaptive MPI needs MPI_WIN_BASE (and other attributes)

  • From: Sam White <white67 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Jeff Hammond <jeff.science AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "Bohm, Eric J" <ebohm AT illinois.edu>, "charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu" <charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Adaptive MPI needs MPI_WIN_BASE (and other attributes)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:19:06 -0600

Thanks for the tip on MPI_Spawn compliance. I have just recently been putting together a list of missing features and have started working more on 2.2 compliance since our 6.7.0 release.

Here's a list of all the functions that AMPI is missing from MPI-2.2 as of now:

MPI_Add_error_class
MPI_Add_error_code
MPI_Add_error_string
MPI_Close_port
MPI_Comm_accept
MPI_Comm_call_errhandler
MPI_Comm_connect
MPI_Comm_disconnect
MPI_Comm_get_name
MPI_Comm_get_parent
MPI_Comm_join
MPI_Comm_remote_group
MPI_Comm_remote_size
MPI_Comm_spawn
MPI_Comm_spawn_multiple
MPI_Comm_set_name
MPI_Comm_set_parent
MPI_Exscan
MPI_Grequest_complete
MPI_Grequest_start
MPI_Open_port
MPI_Pack_external
MPI_Pack_external_size
MPI_Publish_name
MPI_Register_datarep
MPI_Request_get_status
MPI_Status_set_cancelled
MPI_Status_set_elements
MPI_Type_create_darray
MPI_Type_create_indexed_block
MPI_Type_create_keyval
MPI_Type_create_resized
MPI_Type_create_subarray
MPI_Type_get_name
MPI_Type_get_true_extent
MPI_Type_match_size
MPI_Unpack_external
MPI_Unpublish_name
MPI_Win_create_errhandler
MPI_Win_create_keyval
MPI_Win_free_keyval
MPI_Win_get_errhandler
MPI_Win_get_attr
MPI_Win_lock_all
MPI_Win_set_attr
MPI_Win_set_errhandler
MPI_Win_set_group
MPI_Win_set_name
PMPI_* profling interface

We haven't had any driving need for strict 2.2 compliance from applications, so our development has been pretty demand-driven in that regard. We are also looking to implement features from MPI-3 like neighborhood collectives and the non-blocking collective routines that we are missing in the near future. We understand that not having 2.2 (or 3.1) compliance might turn off some potential users now or in the future, though, so we would like to get there!

-Sam