charm - [charm] Custom reduction

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] Custom reduction

  • From: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT gmail.com>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] Custom reduction
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 14:33:59 -0700

Hi folks,

I'm doing a custom reduction, very similar to what we discussed back in July: https://lists.cs.illinois.edu/lists/arc/charm/2015-07/msg00035.html. Following that example, I have successfully done custom reductions in my own code.

Now I'm trying to add another one, just like the above example, but my merge function, equivalent to findHigherClass() in the above example, is never called.

I have tested the registering part, equivalent to initnode registerClassRed() in the example, which is called fine. I have tested the contribute() call, called fine. I have also tested the end of the reduction, equivalent to the printMaxRank(CkReductionMsg *msg), called fine. Of course, the message appearing in my equivalent of printMatrixRank() is garbage, because my merger function is never called. I have also looked at the generated decl.h and def.h files and they seem fine, compared to other custom reductions in my code. The only thing missing is that the merger function, apparently successfully registered in the initnode function, is never called.

Can someone think of a good way to debug this?

Thanks,
Jozsef