charm - Re: [charm] Run multiple custom reducers at (potentially) the same time

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

Re: [charm] Run multiple custom reducers at (potentially) the same time

  • From: Phil Miller <mille121 AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [charm] Run multiple custom reducers at (potentially) the same time
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:14:48 -0500

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Jozsef Bakosi <jbakosi AT gmail.com> wrote:
I have been successfully using custom reducers, described in 16.2 of the user manual. Now I'm wondering if it is safe to use more than one reducer, utilizing the same reducer type, registered in the initnode routine, at the same time, i.e., potentially doing two (or more) reductions running at the same time but whose end-points, of course, point to different reduction entry method member functions. Or do I have to create multiple reducers as the manual example would require a sumTwoShortsType2?

The registration of custom reducers is just to associate a common global index to the function pointer that may differ across processes. So go right ahead, and it should work fine.

The only case I can think of where multiple concurrent uses of a reducer could be a problem is if the reducer implementation contained `static` variables, which would seem quite strange.