charm - [charm] pemap for hardware threads

charm AT lists.cs.illinois.edu

Subject: Charm++ parallel programming system

[charm] pemap for hardware threads

  • From: Tom Quinn <trq AT astro.washington.edu>
  • To: "charm AT cs.uiuc.edu" <charm AT cs.uiuc.edu>
  • Subject: [charm] pemap for hardware threads
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 22:00:42 -0700 (PDT)

When using hardware threads, it seems to be beneficial to have adjacent charm PE numbers on the same physical core, but the layout of the cores on Intel platforms puts adjacent core numbers on different physical cores. Therefore, I'd like a "+pemap" that does the following: (e.g. on a chip with 68 physical cores and 4 HW threads/core)
PE 0 : core 0
PE 1 : core 68
PE 2 : core 136
PE 3: core 204
PE 4: core 1
PE 5: core 69
PE 6: core 137
PE 7: core 205
PE 272 : core 0 (on node 1)
PE 273: core 68 (on node 1)

I tried the following: +pemap 0-271+68+136+204
which works for one node, but on the 2nd node it attempts to place PEs on cores greater than 271, which causes an abort.

Thanks,

Tom